I was about to write that music was the love of my life, but I feel like the boy takes first place nowadays. That said, I'm no less obsessed about music than I was before (which says something about how obsessed I am about my man!), and today I've been rediscovering jazz vocals. Mostly Ella Fitzgerald and Peggy Lee. I absolutely adore the old-school recordings, the slightly fuzzy sound quality and the bouncy walk-along style beat that reminds me of black-and-white musicals and film recordings you see in documentaries about the jazz era. I love how lots of different singers and instrumentalists have covered the same jazz standards - it's even more fascinating when modern-day artists do it in a very different style (e.g. Jamie Cullum).
Currently listening to Perry Como - oh my what a voice! Reminds me a bit of Frank Sinatra but I like this more because to me, Perry Como isn't as well-known/commercial as ol' Blue Eyes.
Maybe this kind of music is a bit of an acquired taste for people my age.. I think most of my friends would be totally disinterested or think of this music as cheesy if they heard it. I don't think the boy would be particularly excited by it either. But this kind of music makes me so happy-go-lucky and content sometimes, I wish I had somebody to share it with.
Actually now that I think of it, this music isn't quite jazz, but it isn't quite Broadway/musical either.. it's the kind of music that features in the opening credits for movies like Bambi (Disney). Bambi was created in the 40s (1942 to be exact, according to Wikipedia), so I will conclude that I am currently listening to USA-in-the-1940s-style music, and I am totally in love with Perry Como's voice right now.
A digression: Also getting back into my love of R&B, and looking forward to listening to the likes of Maxwell, Chris Brown and Ne-Yo. When I have the craving for R&B tunes, I feel that extra bit closer to my boy, and it makes me happy from the inside out.
love jazz. love R&B. love music.
but most of all,
love you.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment