Before you read any further, please take a look at the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWs9G-c_pcs
---
"In this country of 25 million people where the average income is $3,490 a year, the youth music program's budget is $29 million annually, most of it from government funding.."
"Young musicians in Sarria are not allowed to take their instruments home because of the risk of being mugged, and some come to class with headaches because their families cannot afford food."
"The talented musicians of the National System of Venezuelan Youth and Children's Orchestras are a source of national pride, like football stars in other Latin American countries."
"When a poor child begins to play an instrument in his home, it begins to transform the household and the neighbors, and his dedication becomes a model for other children," the bespectacled, balding maestro said. "When he leaves the slums and starts playing in public places wearing a uniform, it builds his self-esteem."
"Poverty generates anonymity, loneliness. Music creates happiness and hope in a community, and the triumph of a child as a musician helps him aspire to even higher things."
---
I was in the car one evening, on my way home from work (or was I heading to/from the driving range? I don't remember) or vice versa, listening to ABC Classic FM. I must have switched on partway through a conversation; a lady was commenting on a youth orchestra that she thought was amazing and inspirational, or something to that effect, and I was intrigued enough to want to know more.
So when I recalled this commentary I'd heard, I did a quick search on YouTube for the Venezuelan Youth Orchestra (she mentioned there was a YouTube clip available). I found what I was looking for - their performance of Bernstein's "Mambo", one of the symphonic dances from West Side Story. And it was spectacular to say the least.
These kids are a real inspiration. The amount they have achieved, and continue to achieve, despite the troubles and hardships they face in their immediate environment - it puts people like me to shame. I go on and on about how I wish I was a musician, or how I'd be a better musician if I only had the time and the freedom to rehearse.. but it can't be true. If I really meant it, surely I'd be living the dream right now?
But this isn't about me.
What I want to say is, music changes lives. It really does. This is a clear example of the fact. Music transcends all the barriers we've built for and against one another.
Music makes the world go around with a sway and and a smile.
Additional reading:
"Venezuela youths transformed by music"
"For Venezuela's poor, music opens doors"
----------------
Now playing: John Mayer - Why Georgia (live)
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment