Monday, October 1, 2007

a soulful groove

Born in Germany, to a Nigerian father and a gypsy mother. Her name means "joy" in Yoruba (an African language), and her nomadic nature has led her to live somewhere between Paris and New York.

Ayo is, by nature, quite unique.

---

From what I can remember, I randomly came across this artist in a JB Hi-Fi music magazine. I read the blurb and saw the album cover, and knew I wanted to listen to it. The album was eventually bought for me as a surprise present, which was a nice surprise indeed. :)

I think I was initially surprised by the songs - what I was hearing was not really what I'd expected. But I've grown to love the sound that is Ayo. She sings with a certain raw emotion - I would say it's a by-product of the troubles and hardships she's faced throughout her life thus far (read her biography here) - and musically, it's great to listen to.

If I needed to categorise her music into a genre for somebody.. I don't know what I would call it. Perhaps a soulful groove, as the title of this post suggests?

Ayo is primarily Caribbean/reggae-style rhythms, but she also includes a harmonica, an accordion and what I think is jazz organ (Hammond B-3, it says in the album booklet) in her songs. And whatever the percussion instrument is (no, not the drum kit), its got that awesome "guun, guun" sound to it which I love so much.

Stand-out tracks:
#1. Down On My Knees "Do you really think / She can love you more than me / Do you really, really think so?"
A quick, slick percussion intro leads into the song and the album that is Ayo. This song exemplifies her raw expression, and it packs a punch.

#3. Letter By Letter I wish I could read you like a book, letter by letter.."
This is one of the more pop-ish songs on the album, in my opinion. The harmonica makes an appearance on this track during the interludes, and I think it gives the song an extra edge.

#5. And It's Supposed To Be Love "Body slam you to the ground / Messaging a chill / Curses make the head go 'round / Brings a certain thrill.."
The upbeat, slightly Caribbean rhythm and the soft & gentle vocals belie the lyrical content of the song, as Ayo sings about the irony of love in a scene of domestic violence.

#10. Life Is Real "Me I be Ayo, Ogunmakin fear no foe, I am real fro head to toe, just like my heart and like my soul.."
A fast-paced song, and something I definitely groove along to. I love how this song is quicker than the rest, it's almost like a wake up call to get you up and about.

#13. Neva Been "I don't need the sun, don't need the moon / Now that you're here, God gave me both in you.."
The final song on the album. It's like after all the darkness, a ray of light peers through the clouds, and the sky clears more and more until it's a cloudless day, and all you can do is smile and dance. A great finishing touch to a wonderful album of life.

Ayo. Life, love and longing, with a dash of optimism. One of my real favourites in my cd collection. Have a listen if you like :)

Additional links:
http://www.myspace.com/ayosound

No comments: