Wednesday, September 12, 2007

an idol of mine

"I'm not into genre," she says. "I'm a singer who tries to communicate through song. I write songs because I need to write them. It's almost like cheap therapy."

Katie Noonan.

Blessed with a beautiful voice, her new album Skin is a great album with loads of class and silky smooth grooves. I personally think it's a bit of a step away from her previous George days, as this album is more pop than not, but I really dig it. After all, how could you not love a voice as heavenly as hers?

Standout tracks:
#3. Time To Begin "Time to begin / Let the sun shine back in..." This is the first single off the album, and as such it has a nice little music video to go with it. I think it sets the tone of the album well - you can sit back and relax, unwind with these silver tunes washing over your body, or you can chat with friends at a cruising party or bar on a Friday night. The rockin' bass line gets me in that Friday night mood - in fact there's a taste of House (dance music) & Jamiroquai to the song, it's great - and the (jazz?) flute IS NUTS! Makes me wish I'd kept up with my silver woodwind.

#4. Love's My Song For You "As we lay here in the darkness, chatting away the hours, I wonder / If I could, lie here forever..." One of my boy's faves actually. She's more breathy in this song, and it's really nice and easygoing, something for a sunny day outside, or when you're indoors and the sunshine's so bright it's lighting up the whole house.

#5. Little Boy Man "You're the greatest gift / You're the sweetest kiss.." I personally find the title rather catchy. Possibly because it does and doesn't make sense, both at once, and they're the first words she sings. The groovy-sounding keyboard and the drumbeat that feature throughout most of the song, get my head nodding and my feet tapping. Every time.

#6. Sunshine "I look up, and I see that smile again / I look up, and I see sunshine again / I look up, and I see your face again..." Again, the keyboard and drums get this song going. They definitely bring the groove to this album, and complement Noonan's voice very well.

If you manage to get a hold of the special edition of this album, which includes an additional CD with b-sides, you'll find that she does a fantastic cover of the song "Crazy" (of Gnarls Barkley fame). Can't rave about it enough!

Katie Noonan. Haunting. Heavenly. Magical. Must-listen.

A repsonse to the article "Katie Noonan hits the road"

No comments: