It's week 9, and for me the midsemester break is now here. I've been meaning to write a reflection on the Science & Religion course for the last week or two now, but as usual I've been lazy and unmotivated to do much uni work.
The course has been a lot tougher than I expected - in fact, it was different to my expectations to begin with. I must not have really focused on the "science" part of the course when I enrolled, because I definitely wasn't expecting to learn about elements of quantum physics! But that was a good surprise - I've wanted to read about quantum physics for a while now, but never got around to it. Now I've had a bit of a taste test with this gen. ed., and it's pretty fascinating (albeit trippy) stuff!
I was also hoping to be learning more about the different religions in the world, rather than having discussions mainly based on a Judaeo-Christian belief system. Admittedly I can see how it would be quite difficult to maintain a coherent discussion on topics such as Creation and Evolution (etc) while trying to learn about different religious beliefs at the same time - it would probably make the course quite disjointed. That said, I didn't realise we'd be discussing topics like Creation and the Big Band or Evolution to begin with.
Keeping up with the weekly discussion has been difficult for me, mostly because I've been too tired to concentrate after work - the weekly resources and lectures, while exciting and interesting and sometimes fascinating, aren't exactly what I would call light reading, and I always need to be reading the materials in silence (i.e. without music playing in the background) otherwise the words just don't sink in. I'm not a particularly fast reader either, so I've been falling behind and not participating in the discussions as much as I should be. Now my main concern is that I hope I pass the course! I'd hate to fail a gen. ed. subject, and a subject that I chose to do because I wanted to do it, not because I had to do it.
----------------
Now playing: Jehro - Long Is The Way
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment