When I'm not procrastinating or doing what I should be doing (work, uni, golf), I'm either playing music, drawing, reading, watching Scrubs, or translating passages from Spanish to English.
I don't do this often, but I do derive a lot of fun from it, and hopefully one day I'll actually invest enough time into Spanish to be able to speak it conversationally, or at least write and understand the language.
This is a song from the Buena Vista Social Club's self-titled album - it's a really beautiful, gentle song (in this instance, sung by Ibrahim Ferrer et al) that makes me close my eyes and sway to the gentle "guun, guun" of one of the percussion instruments. It wasn't until I translated the lyrics that I discovered the beauty behind the words as well.
I know, I know - it's pretty easy to find pre-translated lyrics online.. but that's beside the point. DIY involves constant flicking through the dictionary and trying to recall words I've already come across in previous dictionary searches.
Time-consuming, but educational.
Murmullo
Buena Vista Social Club
Hay un suave murmullo
En el silencio de una noche azul
Son dos enamorados
Que, encantados, gozan del amor.
Y ríe la vida y qué dice así: Ahh, ahh..
Y ríe la luna y qué dice así: Mmm, mmm..
There is a gentle murmur
In the silence of the blue night
There are two lovers
That, delighted, enjoy their love.
And Life laughs, and speaks thus: Ahh, ahh..
And the Moon laughs, and speaks thus: Mmm, mmm..
----------------
Now playing: Buena Vista Social Club - Candela
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment