Thursday, April 23, 2009

a music-infused lifestyle.

I've been listening to so much music these days. It's as though my brain has suddenly undergone some kind of neuron(?) reconstruction. In the last week or so I have cycled through a ridiculous number of different genres. I feel like I wrote about this not too long ago, but today I listened to R&B tunes, then Duffy's album, some of Jehro's album, then some John Coltrane jazz, and now I'm onto soul music.

I originally had a plan of study tonight, and I was also going to sleep early (around 9.30 or 10pm). Unfortunately this all went out the window when I decided that I should spend some time catching up on a couple of mp3blogs that I follow.

Music is just fantastic. I've yet to meet somebody with similar tastes to mine, but if I ever do.. well I don't know what would happen. But I'd hope for the development of a musically rich friendship.

Ben Harper and the Dave Matthews Band are my two most favourite artists. I have a big poster of Ben Harper on my wall; if there were decent DMB posters around I'd consider having them on my wall too.

I do adore a great many other musicians, but if anybody were to ask me "Who is/are your favourite musician/s?", I would always answer with BH & DMB. I don't know why though. Maybe it's the combination of good music with mildly offbeat lyrics. They manage to sing about love and relationships and the rest, but with a kind of musical poetry that doesn't exist in anybody else's music. The following lyrics always spring to mind when I consider the aforementioned point:

Like Marie Antoinette said to Louis XVI,
"Man, I think we're going down.
Our chances are slim and none,
and I'm afraid slim just left town."

- "Say You Will", Ben Harper [Lifeline (2007)]

I'm running on about 4 hours sleep, and I have to work tomorrow so I think I'll end it here. I'll leave you with a quote that was quoted on Souled On, the mp3blog that I've been catching up with all night:

"Among the different arts, the art of music has been especially considered divine, because it is the exact miniature of the law working within the whole universe. For instance if we study ourselves we shall find that in the beats of the pulse and the heart, in the inhaling and exhaling of the breath, all is the work of rhythm."

--Hazrat Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan

No comments: