There's something really satisfying about going through your email and/or phone inbox and deleting old emails/messages. Every now and again I will purge all messages from my phone, both sent and received. I usually do it when I want to rid myself of whatever emotions I'm feeling at the time, and I feel refreshed/can start anew.
Right now, I'm making an effort to get rid of all the shit in my email. I consolidated my two gmail accounts many weeks ago, and now I am going through and doing the occasional clean up.
Yes it's a form of procrastination, but it's also an effort to keep all my correspondence organised so I know where everything is. An email account is just like having a stack of letters on your desk - you should get rid of all the crap you no longer need, because it's a waste of space.. the only difference is that people generally don't feel the need to clean up their emails because it's online and not actually taking up any physical space. And with email accounts having more space nowadays, there's hardly any chance that you'll run out of megabytes, so again there's less motivation for a clean-up.
Edit (10.22pm): I'm also unsubscribing from websites (et al) that I don't use or haven't used for a long time. It's easy to just delete the emails that occasionally grace your inbox, but I'd prefer to remove my personal details from random websites instead. I mean, you wouldn't randomly leave your phone number and address lying around on the ground in real life, so why would you do that to yourself on the World Wide Web?
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment