Monday, October 20, 2008

Quotes - James A. Baldwin

I picked up the following quotes from souledonmusic.blogspot.com, a blog that I have recently started following. Highly recommended if you're into old-school soul music and hip-hop/rap etc.. this dude picks some amazing tunes for the reader's listening pleasure!

"Life is tragic simply because the earth turns and the sun inexorably rises and sets, and one day, for each of us, the sun will go down for the last, last time."

It's a scary thought. But I guess each of us has to accept that we will not live on this planet forever. I don't know if there's another life after this one, or whether we transcend to another world, another planet, or another realm that is beyond human comprehension. Who knows. Maybe our spirits disperse and become absorbed by other spirits, whether it be fauna or flora.

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

Perhaps it does. In any case, my better half knows so much about me, more than I would have ever thought, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I truly believe that honesty and openness is the way to go, even that means having to make the occasional confession. Love is great (I'm such a Romantic), and it really does make you do some crazy things (love is not dissimilar to mental illness.. check it).

"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

Guess this could be a light or dark quote, depending on your own interpretation. Take each moment as it comes, I suppose!

"You know, it's not the world that was my oppressor, because what the world does to you, if the world does it to you long enough and effectively enough, you begin to do to yourself."

A bit of a dark quote, isn't it? Feels a bit 1984-esque. Still contemplating the words.

No comments: