Friday, August 31, 2007

week 5 discussion post #5

On the topic of Creation
Discussion posts below altered slightly for the purposes of this blog


In response to Danielle's comments of:

"Also, a question for people more religious than myself...how does religion explain Neanderthals and other "primitive" humans? Were Adam and Eve created with the intelligence etc that we have today? I had never really thought about this before and realised that I couldn't come up with an answer with my little religious knowledge."


That's a great point she's raised there - unfortunately I can't really help, being fairly un-religious myself, but now I'm asking the same question! And all of a sudden, where the lecture material & readings were making me believe in religion (again), it's all come crashing down because the existence of Neanderthals follows the evolutionist theory, and knocks out the concept of God in some respects (in my mind, at least).

On a tangent, and to get to my original purpose of posting, I thought I'd share this article with everybody, I'm a little surprised that nobody's already mentioned it:

Cosmic Blank Spot Puzzles Astronomers

Basically, astronomers appear to have found a gaping hole in the universe - not a black hole, just a hole. I find this a bit bizarre, of course the investigation is likely to be in its early stages, but I think it could be a relevant piece worthy of discussion in this week's readings, and possibly the next (i.e. Chaos).

To me, apart from the fact that this new revelation is messing with my mind, this article implies that the world has created itself, so to speak.. because if an omnipotent entity had created the universe, how could they leave holes in their work? Otherwise God missed a few spots when he was colouring by numbers. ;)

No comments: