As I was reading the beginning of the week's material on the train (i.e. the excerpt from Davies' writings), I had a few ideas pop into my head:
God is a fantastical being; for all we know, He could be imaginary. After all, He doesn't really appear before us - I'm sure somebody could easily argue that He doesn't exist at all. Where's the solid proof?
(But then again, perhaps He does appear before us, just not in a form that I'd be expecting.)
In any case, what I'm trying to say is, that it's curious how God could well be a fantasy, and yet He is probably one of the most discussed and debated topics/characters in society.
Funny how we can spend so much time on a presence that is exactly that - merely a presence, an intangible being.
And perhaps the problem is that we have humanised the concept of God. God is "He, Him, His" - God is assumed (on my part at least) to have human attributes and emotions, a physical constitution akin to that of a human. Maybe that's the limit of my conceptuality of God.
Maybe that's why it's difficult to accept that He exists or has existed prior to Time or the Universe.
Makes a hell of a lot more sense that God is a concept outsde of Time, strangely enough!
I was having a brief discussion with Mum about this, and she mentioned an idea that Dad had, and I've elaborated on it a bit in the following paragraph.
If God is so almighty and powerful (and if He really does exist), there's no reason for him to have made such a tiny thing like Earth, with all its inhabitable features, and nothing else. There must be something else out there, a world like ours, one that's inhabited by living beings, perhaps totally different in constitution to ourselves, but communities of beings nonetheless. Perhaps the story is that there are a number of "Earths" out there - but God created these existences in such a way that we would never collide with another of the Earths - communities living in an isolated peace from stranger nations. Like island nations, but on a universal, planetary level.
So there's another thought to ponder. However, to continue onto other areas-
Reading through the week's materials, I now have an understanding of the different "isms" - deism, theism, pantheism, and panentheism (I didn't know that last one existed). I would have to say that the concept I like best is contained within pantheism - the belief that God is not a separate entity, but an intrinsic part of the all aspects of nature we see around us - the leaves, the clouds, the rivers, the cliffs, the fish, the birds, the canines and felines.. and so on and so forth. This then removes the idea that I don't seem to be comfortable with - the conceptualisation of God as being contained within a physical form such as a human's.
I went through a phase during high school where I was very much in love with nature. I still am, I suppose, but I spend so much time in the city, and commuting to and fro in a train surrounded by lots of people, I don't really get much opportunity to observe natural surroundings. The trees and their individual fronds, the morning frost in winter, and the balmy breeze in the summer; the intricacies and the simplicities of nature that I walked by on my way to school each morning, and on my way home each afternoon.
Nature makes me smile. It's the Romantic in me.
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment