Sunday, November 25, 2007

jeff buckley.

A week ago I bought the Legacy Edition of Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-e album. I've just released it from its shrink-wrap packaging, and am watching the the additional DVD that came with the album. Watching him perform live in this little cafe, I realise that I don't know if I would have appreciated him as much as I do, if I had been introduced to his music during a live performance.

Jeff Buckley's music is great. He's got so much talent that he has the ability to just muck around and crack jokes and still sound ridiculously good. But I only listened to his music for a long time before watching a DVD of him playing.

The first (and last, prior to this current viewing) DVD I watched was the Live in Chicago recording.. and I wasn't entirely comfortable watching him sing and play. I don't really know what I was expecting, but it was just crazy, a bit too crazy. At the same time, I feel like I need to watch him play, so that I can imagine him better in my mind as I listen to the music.

I like watching his interviews. He has a beautiful gaze, and a beautiful speaking voice, and he always seems so at peace, and when you listen to him speak, you realise that he has so much knowledge, so much depth.

I can't imagine what he would have been like if he had had the opportunity to grow old.

No comments: