I can't help it if I'm a forgetful person, and I have to ask the same questions over and over.
When somebody writes to me, whether it's an email or a text message etc, I read over the words lots of times. I don't know why, but it feels like if I read them once, it's not doing the words any justice. Maybe that's why I'm so good at picking up inconsistencies or grammatical errors (etc) from documents. I just have a natural tendency to mull over the written word.
From my previous experiences, I've discovered that if somebody teaches me how do to something at work, I need to write everything down step-by-step, because I can't recall everything they tell me once they've finished. I refer to my notes a few times in doing the task, and once I've done it a few times over an extended period of time (maybe a few days or a few weeks depending on the frequency of the task), it'll set itself in the collective conscious knowledge in my mind.
Same goes for my friends and whatever it is about their life that they are telling me about. I find myself forgetting quite a lot, or remembering the most abstract things about people. Quite frustrating, really. It makes it seem like I'm either uninterested or not listening properly. But that's not true! I'm just bad at remembering things sometimes. Okay, maybe a lot of the time.
Why is this? I don't know. Maybe I didn't have a good-memory gene handed down to me. Or maybe it's because I have such a broad variety of interests and social circles that I'm used to flitting about from one thought to another, making it difficult to focus on retaining a lot from any one source.
In any case, I'm trying to be a better listener for the people who matter to me the most. It's had quite positive results so far in my opinion, and hopefully I'll become a better people person.
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Alot of people like writing (not typing) notes to study. I always thought I had a bad memory, until I started marking at a tuition centre. After the 4th or 5th book of marking, I realise that I no longer need to refer to the answer booklet, even the multichoice. :|
Your step-by-step technique sounds interesting :D I've never thought of doing that. Perhaps I should. mm.
GRAMMAR NAZI ALERT!
haha sounds like a bit too much repetition at tuition! (love the rhyme in that lol!)
step-by-step is especially good for when you're learning to use computer programs etc.. and if u omit something under the assumption that you'll remember it later.. disaster O_o
haha yeah i am a bit anal with spelling/grammar.. the dictionary is my best friend!
hehe. the boy i am currently into uses alot of complex words. so to not lose face (lol) i always carry a dictionary now.
no joke
hehehe its funny the things we do for the people we care about! or rather, the things that we are seemingly forced to do, for the people we care about.. XD
Post a Comment