So I read this article on SMH about how a doctor is developing a 'personalised' approach to treating cancer, and as I reading the article I couldn't help but wonder if the very act of being a doctor is like playing the role of God. After all, wasn't it Jesus who healed the sick and the blind? And for an illness such as cancer, which is quite life-threatening or terminal at times, treating a patient with a "gene chip" sounds like a much better way to cure cancer, rather than chemotherapy.
But has anybody complained about it?
Research for a cure for cancer is a noble piece of work in my opinion. Yet those scientists involved in stem cell research, or genetic research, who are equally as determined to try and cure patients of terminal illnesses etc, seem to cop a lot more flak from the general population. Or maybe it's just a controversial topic because there isn't a great deal known about stem cell (etc) research, considering that humans fear the unknown.
I mean, I'm not too sure what my stance is on genetic engineering. It does seem a bit too much like the scientists are trying to "play God". But at the same time I can't help but think, if I was severely ill wouldn't I desperately want any kind of cure available? Wouldn't everybody else be the same?
A response to the article "Gene Chip Helps Cancer Treatment"
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment