Consciousness. So what is it?
Reading a Time magazine a while back, it pointed out and made me think things like "Hey, we have a narrow range of vision", and "How do we know that everything outside of our vision exists while we aren't looking?"
Of course, that probably seems like a very stupid question to ask. I will most likely never, ever see the back of my head, or even the centremost part of my back, without the aid of a mirror.. and yet I know it's there, and I know it's not an illusion presented by the mirror itself.
I'm not sure where I'm going with this. There's a certain illogic to this thought process which is appealing somewhat.. But I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's because you don't really talk about stuff like the way I am now.. not often, anyways.
I like the headspin you can get from trying to comprehend that "my red may be your blue", and how there's absolutely no way you can prove or disprove this notion, until human science figures out a way to tap into somebody else's brain & borrow their eyes and mine for a while too (sounds almost Harry Potter like, doesn't it..). Now that would be some crazy science.
I wonder if science has any boundaries. Whether humans will one day think that they've possibly been messing around with 'nature' a little too much.
Then again - one could ask, what is the concept of 'nature' and 'natural'? Is it defined as anything that hasn't been permanently altered or modified by the homo sapiens? Perhaps the continual exploration and expansion of the boundaries of science is in fact a 'natural' progression of the abilities of the human race, therefore what humans are doing in the name of science is not an 'unnatural' occurrence or mode of behaviour.
Maybe I just need some sleep (and less quotation marks).
Monday, July 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment