Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hobart: the arrival

Virgin Blue flight. I've never been on such a big plane before.. it seated more than 30 people!* ;)

*Last year I flew to Albury for work and it was a Rex (Regional Express) flight.. I think it seated about 33 people and it had propellers too. [N.B.: Before last year's trip, I hadn't been on a plane since I was about 3 or 4, so I had no recollection of what a plane flight was like, except for the round bread roll that was part of the flight food. And the UHT milk container thing.]

The most exciting part about a plane flight is when the plane begins to take off from the tarmac. After that, it's all about trying to keep occupied because you definitely can't fall asleep sitting on such an upright seat. I read a bit of the Time magazine I bought on Friday, and then listened to a Hamish & Andy podcast.

Taxi ride to the Old Woolstore Apartments was about 20-30 mins. Met up with the others, then drinks at the Baaa Bar. Pimms & lemonade, and then a Little Creatures Pale Ale. Mixing drinks (i.e. spirits and beer), especially on an empty stomach, is not a good idea. So I ordered room service.

Tomato and capsicum soup with a small loaf of damper. Heaven at 11.30pm on a cold summer night in Hobart (12 degrees Celsius.. oh man.. I totally didn't pack appropriate clothing) when one hasn't had dinner (a prawn tempura sushi roll at the domestic airport at 7pm just doesn't cut it) yet.

Almost midnight now. Listening to the first ever mixtape I received from my boy. It brings back good memories, and the songs are beautiful too. I think I'll let it play throughout the night to keep my company. I've brought my Care Bear (it's a special one - he's dressed in a bee suit and has crinkly wings too) and Tigger. A week or two ago I discovered that they sell Care Bears at Coles.. really want to start a collection.

Need to hang up my work clothes in the closet, get changed, get the extra quilt from the closet for warmth, brush my teeth, then go to sleep. 7.30am breakfast tomorrow for an 8am drive to Boyer. And so begins the working week..

Counting down for the Melbourne weekend.

No comments: