Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Album Review: Paul Winn Band - "Nothing's New"

Firstly, forgive me if I sound ridiculously scientific and analytical in this post - I attribute it to the fact that I'm reading a neurologically-focused book that talks about how people's hearing and perceptions of music are affected by changes in/damage to the brain.

As a result, this isn't your typical album review, but more an analysis of each of the songs on the album, and my attempt at explaining the images and emotions I feel when I hear each track.


---

Musicians listen to and admire the craftsmanship of other musicians all the time, and it's only natural that one artist will remind you of another, and vice versa, etc. So when I listen to the Paul Winn Band's latest album I'm reminded of the truth behind the album's title, "Nothing's New". I feel that the overall style of this recording is inspired by Sting, the rhythms are influenced by the Dave Matthews Band, and there are certain musical passages that evoke memories of John Mayer's blues performances. Ironically, it's the unique combination of these factors that help establish the original sound that is the Paul Winn Band.

Strangely enough, during my initial listening of the album Paul's voice also reminded me a bit of Pearl Jam. My boyfriend summarised my comments as "Pearl Jam, without Eddie Vedder". But now that I've listened to the album many times, I don't really feel the Pearl Jam link anymore. (An aside: I love how music transforms in your brain even though the recording itself hasn't changed! It's so fascinating and keeps the music feeling fresh.)

I really enjoy the album as a whole, but I have some distinct favourites, and I've marked them with **. Going through the tracklisting..

"The phone dried up but nothing's new / I took a chance, a bet with you / Don't say those words I've heard before / They only make me want you more.."

Nothing's New** is a catchy song that generates a sense of anticipation for the rest of the album. I love how the upbeat, staccato beats of the verse slide easily into a flowing melody that rings out during the chorus. Having listened to the album a few times now I think this is my standout favourite!


"What in the world did I do / To make you go insane.."

I totally dig the percussive phrases in Take It Back**! 'Phrases' is not the word I'm looking for, but it'll have to do for now. During this song my boyfriend asked me whether Paul is a fan of the Dave Matthews Band - and my boyfriend barely listens to DMB, so it must sound as though it's heavily influenced by DMB. I mention this because I'm so used to DMB's sound that I don't notice if somebody else sounds like them. Upon reflection, this is possibly one of the reasons why I like the Paul Winn Band so much ;)


"Then you came and I saw you / The glare's in my eyes, but I don't care.."

Then You Came** is a lovely 'rock ballad' (I use the term tenatively because I hate genre-categorising) that opens up to a sweeping soundscape in the chorus.. I would love to fall asleep listening to this song. Not much else to say because I'm too caught up in the music's beauty.


Lamington
Firstly, the song reminds me of Paul's previous self-titled album (particularly the song "Sinking Down"); and secondly, it reminds me of Sting. It's not that it sounds the same, but more that it conjures up a similar image in my mind, like when I listen to one of Sting's songs. I can't remember the tune, but I think it's to do with dock workers, because I hear the song and I see a misty British morning, workers down at the docks, not many people about, and the sound of the waves gently slapping against the walls..


"Strawberry romance.. a bed of chocolate, full of lust.."

Expiry Date is a fun upbeat track, and I especially love the sudden melody jump halfway through this song. It transports you to a different state of mind, a temporary musical anti-gravity.. and then the chorus brings you back into the song with a renewed energy.


Sleeping Satellite
Great cover of the original! Not sure who the original artists are unfortunately, but I do recognise the song. (Update: the original was sung by Tasmin Archer.) The coolest part of this cover is the guitar at "..the dream that died with the eagle's flight" - definitely an air guitar moment! And the guitar solo, which uses the same 'rough and dirty guitar' effect to add extra bite to the sound.


Rescue Me**
I love, love, LOVE how the song slowly turns and turns again in a lost-love waltz across an empty room of nostalgia and vintage sounds. As the song progresses, the strings that yawn their way into the music subtly hint at a sound reminiscent of Damien Rice, and the bartender reference is (to me) a strong reminder of a Dave Matthews Band song titled - wait for it - "Bartender". Apart from that one line, the evocative and mysterious nature of Rescue Me has me totally hooked.


Trouble Is
The Middle-Eastern flavour towards the end of the track is what really seals it for me on this one. Reminds me of Sting's "Desert Rose" and DMB's "The Last Stop".


Long Way Home**
I hear the first couple of seconds and I can't help but sigh "Ohhh yeahhhh...!" Long Way Home is a really funky track with the kind of groove that will have you tapping your foot or nodding your head (or both!) along with the beat. Strangely, it feels like Jimi Hendrix meets Red Hot Chili Peppers meets Eric Clapton & BB King!


Those Days
The guitar in this song, when it rings out between the verse/chorus, reminds me a little of John Mayer during his Contiuum album phase. I dig the Metallica(?)-style rock interlude halfway through, and the way the strings add an extra flavour to the chorus.


"Taylor sits drawing as her friends play out in the street.. She's mapping out her future in crayons and HB.."

Previously featured on Paul's earlier self-titled album, the band plays a different version of Taylor on this recording. The song has a very Mayer-eqsue bluesy swing to it (especially in the intro), and it also reminds me of The Badloves "Memphis" (I think it's because of the organ in the background, which I love!). This is a really nice take two, and a loving finish to the album.

All in all, "Nothing's New" is a great album by Paul Winn Band, well-presented both musically and visually, and definitely worth listening to!

---

Available for digital purchase on iTunes; or if you're like me and you enjoy holding the cd in your hands, visit their MySpace page for details on buying the physical album. I highly recommend it, as the album art is really great (kudos to the artist/s)!

No comments: